A UK lawmaker has emphasized that at least 1,500 young British Takfiri elements have travelled to the Middle East to engage in insurgency and terror campaigns against local governments.
As the UK government struggles to identify the suspected British terrorist that beheaded US journalist James Foley earlier in the week, an MP in the country’s parliament said the government estimate that only 400 or 500 Britons have travelled to fight in Syria is “nonsense.”
The Muslim MP, Khalid Mahmood, who represents Perry Barr in Birmingham, told US-based news magazine Newsweek that he estimated at least 1,500 young British extremists have gone to the Middle East since 2011 to join the foreign-backed insurgency wars in Syria and Iraq.
The development comes as British lawmakers from all parties are pressing for a debate on measures to adopt in a bid to prevent radicalization at home.
In the face of the growing ISIL Takfiri threat, Lord Carlile, the UK government’s former counter-terrorism adviser called for a reintroduction of Control Orders, which kept UK-based terrorism suspects in their homes without access to phones or internet.
Control orders were introduced in 2005 by controversial former Prime Minister Tony Blair and allowed terrorism suspects who had not been convicted to be tagged and ordered to report to police.
Such contentious measures should be reinstated to prevent potential Takfiri elements from committing attacks in Britain, Lord Carlile reportedly said.
Meanwhile, US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel warned on Thursday that the ISIL terrorists who executed the American journalist are “beyond anything that we’ve seen, so we must prepare for everything.”
“[ISIL] is as sophisticated and well-funded as any group that we have seen. They’re beyond just a terrorist group,” he said. “They marry ideology, a sophistication of strategic and tactical military prowess. They are tremendously well-funded.”
Hagel, however, did not elaborate the state sponsors of the notorious Takfiri terrorists.
However, American authorities have officially alleged that a government minister from one its closest Persian Gulf Arab states, Kuwait, has been actively involved in funding Takfiri terrorists in Syria in a bid to overthrow the government of President Bashar al-Assad.
Other Persian Gulf regimes of Saudi Arabia and Qatar are also widely suspected of supporting the Takfiri terrorists in Syria and Iraq.