The Lebanese foreign minister says Beirut is planning to file a complaint with the Arab League over a recent deadly attack by foreign-sponsored Syrian militants on its soil,
In an exclusive interview with Press TV on Friday, Adnan Mansour stated that the security situation in Lebanon is deteriorating because of the continuing violence across the border.
â€œLebanon security and stability are being threatened. We are preparing a memo to hand out to the Arab League on the violations going on our borders. Last week, two Lebanese civilians lost their lives due to shelling from armed Syrian opposition,â€ he said.
â€œThe armed [Syrian] opposition has adopted this attack, and has pledged more such attacks in the future. So, we are notifying the Arab League with this as it should take full responsibility over the issue,â€ the Lebanese foreign minister added.
Mansour also criticized the Arab League for backing and supporting the Syrian militants.
He also said the number of Syrian refugees in Lebanon is on the rise as violence continues unabated in neighboring Syria.
The Syria crisis began in March 2011, and many people, including large numbers of soldiers and security personnel, have been killed in the violence.
The Syrian government says that the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants are foreign nationals.
Several international human rights organizations have accused foreign-sponsored militants of committing war crimes in Syria.
In an interview recently broadcast on Turkish television, President Assad said that if the militants fighting against the Syrian government take power in his country, they could destabilize the entire Middle East for decades.
â€œIf the unrest in Syria leads to the partitioning of the country, or if the terrorist forces take controlâ€¦ the situation will inevitably spill over into neighboring countries and create a domino effect throughout the Middle East and beyond,â€ he added.