Iraq has begun court proceedings against 14 suspected French members of jihadist group captured by US-backed forces and transferred to Iraq from Syria last month, two legal sources said.
The men appeared before an investigative judge of Baghdad’s anti-terrorism court on March 6 in a procedural step towards putting them on trial, according to a court-appointed lawyer who attended the session and a member of the judicial council.
All 14 signed confessions saying they had been in Mosul when it was under ISIS rule from 2014 to 2017, according to the two legal sources, speaking on condition of anonymity.
If they are tried in Iraq and found guilty of having committed crimes against Iraq and the Iraqi people, they could face the death penalty, said the judicial council member.
“The course of investigations and indictment are leaning towards handing them the death sentence eventually,” said the court-appointed lawyer.
Iraqi President Barham Salih said this month that convicted foreign fighters could be sentenced to death in Iraq.