The website of the Shia Houthi fighters in northern Yemen posted a video on Friday in which their chief Abdul Malik al-Houthi denied having been killed, as claimed by government officials several times. “All these allegations are fabricated and baseless,” the leader said in the video in response to reports that he was dead or had been wounded. “These allegations are intended to justify the massacres of civilians committed by the authorities,” he said, referring to an intensified government military campaign against the group since late last year. Al-Houthi appears in the video with his head uncovered and wearing a dark jacket over a white robe and traditional Yemeni curved dagger attached to his belt. It is unclear when the footage was taken. Numerous reports about his death or serious injury, often distributed by the authorities in Sanaa, have circulated in recent weeks.
February 8, 2016
September 28, 2019