Thousands of people took to the streets in Yemen’s northwestern city of Sa’ada and elsewhere on Friday to condemn the Saudi-led coalition’s military aggression and brutal siege on the Arab country.
Marking the ‘National Day of Cry in the Face of Aggressors’, demonstrators took part in a massive rally in Sa’ada to reaffirm their resolve to continue their spirited resistance until the logical end.
The participants waved Yemen’s national flag and chanted vociferous slogans such as “Death to America,” “Death to House of Saud” and “Death to Israel” while expressing rage and indignation over the Saudi-led coalition’s continued atrocities and crimes in Yemen.
“The slogan ‘Cry in the Face of Aggressors’ shattered the lengthy silence on domestic issues and exposed the conspiracies of enemies. It had an instrumental role in preserving the religious identity of Yemen,” the protesters said in a joint communiqué.
“The Yemeni nation must carry out its duties and mobilize forces en masse against enemies. We urge freedom-loving people in the Saudi-occupied Yemeni territories to stand up against coalition forces and their mercenaries, and expel them from their local communities.”
The statement warned the foreign military coalition against persisting with its aggression, and emphasized that Yemen will “remain a free and independent country”.
“We warn of the danger of normalization with the Zionist enemy, and reiterate our full preparedness to side with the axis of resistance in the fight against the oppression of the Palestinian nation,” it further added.
Elsewhere in the capital city of Sana’a, people carried Yemeni flags as well as pictures of former and current Ansarullah leaders, Hussein Badreddin al-Houthi and Abdul-Malik al-Houthi.
They chanted slogans against Saudi crimes in the country, and reaffirmed resolve to continue their determined resistance.
Yemeni child killed as Saudi mercenaries breach UN ceasefire
Meanwhile, a Yemeni child was killed and two other members of her family sustained injuries after Saudi-sponsored mercenaries shelled a residential area in Yemen’s central province of al-Bayda on Thursday, despite the extension of an UN-brokered two-month nationwide truce.
The Arabic-language al-Masirah television network reported that the victim died on Thursday as Saudi-led militants struck the Umm al-Khashab area in the Az-Zahir district of the province on Thursday.
The development came as the United Nations announced that the truce between the warring Yemeni sides had been extended for two more months.
The initial two-month truce started at the beginning of the holy fasting month of Ramadan on April 2 and was set to expire on Thursday.
“I would like to announce that the parties to the conflict have agreed to the United Nations’ proposal to renew the current truce in Yemen for two additional months,” UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg said.
Grundberg added that the truce extension would come into effect “when the current truce period expires, today June 2, 2022, at 19:00 Yemen time (1600 GMT)”.
“The announcement of the truce extension today shows a serious commitment from all parties to end the senseless suffering of millions of Yemenis,” the Norwegian Refugee Council’s (NRC) Yemen Country Director, Erin Hutchinson, said in a statement after the announcement.
“The last two months have shown that peaceful solutions to the conflict are a real option.”
Saudi Arabia launched the devastating war on Yemen in March 2015 in collaboration with its Arab allies and with arms and logistics support from the US and other Western states.
The objective was to reinstall the Riyadh-friendly regime of Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi and crush the Ansarullah resistance movement, which has been running state affairs in the absence of a functional government in Yemen.
While the Saudi-led coalition has failed to meet any of its objectives, the war has killed hundreds of thousands of Yemenis and spawned the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.