TEHRAN – The foreign ministers of Iran and Pakistan have been in consultations over the release of the five abducted Iranians border guards.
It is relevant to add here that Shiite News had reproduced a news of their release that was posted on Iranian Arab news channel Al Alam that was incorrect.
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs Seyed Abbas Araqchi on Wednesday said Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has been conferring with his Pakistani counterpart in the past few days to secure the guards’ release.
Speaking to reporters in Iran’s holy city of Mashhad, he said everyone, including the police force, foreign ministry, Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) and Army have been pursuing the case.
The five Iranian border guards were kidnapped in Jakigour region in Iran’s southeastern province of Sistan and Balouchestan on February 6 and taken to Pakistan.
The so-called Jaish-ul-Adl terrorist group claimed responsibility for the abductions.
On February 25, Ali Abdollahi, Iran’s deputy interior minister for security and law enforcement affairs, said the five kidnapped soldiers were in good health.
Asked whether Iran has made a request (to the Pakistani government) for the freedom of kidnapped guards, he said no official request has been made by Tehran but “we expect Pakistan to fulfill its security commitments and pursue the release of the Iranian soldiers”.
Abdollahi had earlier regretted that Islamabad has failed to fully control its borders with Iran, stressing that the Pakistani government has commitments based on the joint security agreement signed by the two countries and should fulfill those commitments.
In February 2013, Tehran and Islamabad signed a security agreement which requires both sides to take strict measures to combat terrorism and human and drug trafficking.