Saudi jets kill 76 in fresh raids on Yemen
Unabated Saudi airstrikes have claimed the lives of at least 76 people, injuring around 130 others across the kingdom’s impoverished southern neighbor, Yemen.
Saudi jets pummeled the Yemeni capital Sana’a over Friday and Saturday, killing 35 people and injuring more than 120 others. Yemen’s Saba Net news agency said the number of the victims could rise due to the intensity of the attacks.
The aircraft targeted the Yemeni Interior Ministry building, public services facilities and residential buildings in the city.
Striking the Sirwah district in the Ma’rib province in west-central Yemen, Saudi planes killed four civilians and left a number of people wounded.
The kingdom’s warplanes attacked the Al Bayda province in southern Yemen, slaying a child and wounding two of the victim’s family members.
As many as 21 people were killed and two others wounded after the planes attacked a village in the northwestern Yemeni province of Sa’ada. Saudi attacks also claimed the lives of 15 people and injured five others, targeting the province’s Bagim district
On March 26, Saudi Arabia began its aggression against Yemen – without a UN mandate – in a bid to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and restore power to the country’s fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.
The conflict has so far left about 5,200 people dead and thousands of others wounded, the UN says. Local Yemeni sources, however, say the fatality figure is much higher.
The Yemeni al-Masirah TV network, meanwhile, reported that Yemen’s Army and popular committees had struck two Saudi military vehicles in Jizan, killing six Saudi military personnel and injuring a number of others.