West Bank announces strike, mourning in Jenin after Israeli forces kill three Palestinian youths
A day of mourning and strike has been declared in the West Bank city of Jenin, after Israeli forces killed three young Palestinian men during a raid on the occupied territory.
The announcement on Saturday came after Palestinian media, citing local sources, reported earlier in the day that Izz Eddin Hamamreh, 24, and Amjad Khalilieh, 23, were shot dead during clashes with Israeli forces near the village of Jaba’, south of Jenin.
The Palestinian Health Ministry also announced that 19-years-old Yazen Jaabari succumbed to his wounds after being shot by Israeli forces in the village of Kafr Dan, near Jenin earlier this month.
The latest deaths bring the number of Palestinians killed by Israeli fire so far in 2023 to twelve, including three children.
Reacting to fresh Israeli crimes, the Hamas resistance movement said it holds Israel accountable for its continued crimes and violations against Palestinians, and reaffirms that the occupying regime’s acts of aggression will not go unnoticed.
Hazem Qassem, a spokesman for the Gaza-based movement, said in a statement that “the city of Jenin continues its brave resistance and struggle against the occupying regime and sacrifices its people’s lives for the liberation of Palestine.”
The Islamic Jihad resistance movement also denounced the latest killings, describing the two Palestinian youths who were killed in Jaba’ as “heroic martyrs.”
It also noted that these two Palestinians were killed while trying to intervene against the “occupation forces which were carrying out a cowardly assassination operation.”
The Islamic Jihad further emphasized on continuing the path of resistance, vowing that it would avenge the blood of the martyrs.
Meanwhile, Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh has called for providing international protection for Palestinian people, following the latest deaths at the hands of Israeli forces.
Shtayyeh said in a statement that the world should take a clear stand on these crimes against the Palestinian people, including providing international protection, Palestine’s official Wafa news agency reported.
Israeli forces launch raids on various cities of the occupied West Bank almost on a daily basis under the pretext of detaining what it calls “wanted” Palestinians. The raids usually lead to violent confrontations with residents.
Over the past months, Israel has ramped up attacks on Palestinian towns and cities throughout the occupied territories. As a result of these attacks, dozens of Palestinians have lost their lives and many others have been arrested.
The United Nations marked 2022 as the deadliest year for Palestinians in the West Bank in 16 years.
Israeli forces killed at least 171 Palestinians in the West Bank and occupied East al-Quds last year, including more than 30 children. At least 9,000 others were injured as well.